Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Camp Joy!

Changing the lives of homeless children one heart at a time is basically what Camp Joy is in a nut shell! Last week the kids and I (dad had to work at his new job) got to experience what giving back is truly all about. We spent 4 days/ 3 nights camping and mentoring to homeless children at Green Valley Lake. The kids came from all over Orange and LA County and ranged in age from 4-16 years old. We were paired up with a 5 year old boy from Costa Mesa named Mekhi (how weird is it that Nick and I used to have a dog with this same name!?!)

The entire experience was challenging at first I will admit, but after a day all of the kids had definitely won my heart over. We spent four days just enjoying and living life with kids who honestly appreciate all the small things. There is so much we take for granted weekly, daily and by the minute. But after experiencing Camp Joy, and coming home to my own bed, car and belongings I am truly grateful for all that God has blessed me with. Especially the people in my life... my amazing husband, silly kids, great family and friends. This is what it is truly about! It is about being grateful, thankful and humble for what God has given and provided us with and above all giving back to others!

No comments: